Thread: Vegan Thai Soup

Vegan Thai Soup

Does anyone have a good recipe for a vegan Thai soup?

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    Which one?
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone damien inbred's Avatar
    TOP, that Tom Yum sounds fucking divine. I'm gonna have to try it out really soon

Quote Originally Posted by theoldpunk View Post
    Here's a version of Tom Yum that I nicked from a Thai cookbook and have been using for years:

The broth

1 tbs tamarind pulp (if you can't find this, use a tbs of lime juice and a tsp of sugar OR try a tsp or two of amchoor (mango) powder)
    2 dried red bird's eye chillies, chopped
    2 kaffir lime leaves, roughly shredded OR a teaspoon of lime zest
    2" piece of galangal, sliced and 1" piece of ginger, sliced, or just use all ginger if you can't find galangal
    1 stalk of lemon grass, bashed and roughly chopped
    1 onion, quartered
    1 litre (4 cups) cold water

Put everything into a pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 mins. Strain and keep the stock. If you like your stock with more body, add some soya / shoyu / tamari sauce or home-made vegan 'fish' sauce (worth the effort if you like Thai food) to taste.

The solid stuff

1 tbs sunflower oil
    250g smoked tofu, cubed
    90g (1 cup) sliced mushrooms - shiitake are good but any will do
    2 tbs fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
    125g (2 cups) fresh watercress

Heat the oil in a wok and stirfry the tofu over a high heat for a couple of minutes. Add the strained stock, bring to the boil, then add the mushies and coriander and boil for 3 mins. Add the watercress and boil for another minute. Serve, garnished with a few slices of fresh red chilli if you fancy it.

If you want a creamier soup, Google for (vegan) Tom Kha or Tom Kha Gai and take your pick. You should find most recipes are pretty good. As an alternative, here's a variation I came across a while back that is great for colder nights, especially if, like me, you love red lentils - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...tam-ottolenghi

As with all cooking, don't be afraid about substituting something or playing around with the flavourings to suit your own taste. It doesn't really matter if it's 'authentic', as long as you enjoy it
    Thanks so much I am going to try the Tom Yum later this week. I was thinking of using some mock duck with the tofu.

Hot Topic Punk Padawan
    tom kha
    4 sliced mushrooms
    half white onion diced
    half stick of celery sliced
    about a hand full of chopped broccoli
    half cube of baked or fired tofu
    2 TBLs of diced lemon gerass
    half a stick of copped carrots
    half can of coconut milk
    braggs, soy sauce, or sea salt

saute onions,carrots, celery for 1 minute,with a TBL spoon of olive oil, then add broccoli and lemon grass, reduce heat and cover for 3 minutes. then crank the heat, remove lid and add mushrooms and tofu. splash with braggs or soy sauce and cook 40 seconds. then add half a can of coconut milk and about 8 ounces of water. 2 Tbles of red wine vinegar and 2 TBLs of lemon juice, oh and 1 TBL kelp powder.
    I like mine spicy as fuck and recommend a lot of red peppers or what ever fire you would want to add
    Make sure you bake or fry your tofu first, if you wish to add it to the soup(this saves time as well as keeps it from being overwhelming)

Ackley
    Vegan Thai Soups i so good for get the energy.Vegetarian and vegan recipe for a hearty homemade
    and vegetable soup is both healthy and filling.So i like this soup for get energy.Thanks a lot for
    sharing this recipe.I will try to make it....

Jhon
    Vegan Thai Soups i so good for get the energy.Vegetarian and vegan recipe for a hearty homemade
    and vegetable soup is both healthy and filling.So i like this soup for get energy.Thanks a lot for
    sharing this recipe.I will try to make it....