Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden Punx!

Red face Garden Punx!

In a new location, doing mostly a potted porch garden this year. Already flourishing: Basil, Rosemary, Cilantro, Cayenne peppers, Thyme, Parsley....

Currently sprouting: More basil, eggplant, dill, onion, echinacea, chives...

Going to a local nursery to pick up some more gardening delights.

Pictures to come!

How about you!?

Growing ones own food, for me, is one of the most satisfying feelings...

Upper Crusty
    i got totally bummed with my garden last year and had to let it all die. this year i think i'ma do it in pots, and some of it in the ground but in a different spot, and probably jalapenos, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Peter Joseph Swanson's Avatar
    I have a great farmer's market downtown once a week so I let them grow for me. There are communal neighborhood garden plots I could use but I would probably stay awake all night worrying that my tomatoes might get stolen. I grow basil in my window. I hope to get a bay plant this summer. I had one that grew all the way to the ceiling ... but then it died. People with gardens always give me cucumbers - they always get too many of them. I love them in salads and sandwiches. I miss the all fresh peas, from growing up on the farm. I would eat most of them raw right out in the field. We would camp out at night in the sweet corn field to try and scare all the raccoons away, ha ha ...

Unless its a cactus I'm probably not going to have very good luck with anything.
    Kill, Kill, Kill for inner peace! Bomb, Bomb, Bomb for mental health! Therapy through violence!

Needs a Life Punk to the bone scatter the hatred's Avatar
    God I wish. Fuck concrete.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone anorak city's Avatar
    I want to replace the lawn in the backyard with tall native grasses, like little bluestem and Indian grass, and replace the ugly shrubs along the perimeter with something better, maybe red cedars or something. Also it would be cool to get a bunch of different milkweed for butterflies, and a ton of things to attract bees and birds. It's all daydreaming stuff though, I don't know if I'll actually get to do it.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    I don't grow vegetables but I've still got a beautiful garden with lots of trees, bushes and flowers... So I've spent hours those last weeks, removing weeds, removing hundreds of stones that were scattered everywhere in the flower beds (no idea why), removing the leaves and branches I had cut a month ago and didn't have time to look after before leaving one week and in exactly this week, all the flowers came out of the soil, so I couldn't just get them with a rake but I had to carefully pick them up by hand, between all the flowers... Today I also put some organic fertilizer in the flower beds and under the trees and bushes as I think that they're planted in quite poor soil...

Right now I've got so many beautiful colours in the garden : the white of a viburnum tinus and the snowdrop flowers, the pink of a cherry tree, the yellow of the jonquils, the lilac of the crocuses as well as the first dandelions and daisies... And soon I'll have different tulips as my ex planted some bulbs today and many others are already out but without flowers yet, and hyacinths...

Oh and speaking of dandelions, do you also eat them as a salad ? I know it's not done everywhere, but over here they're really appreciated and even quite expensive if you buy them at the market or as salads in restaurants...
    Last edited by @-Rainbow; 03-22-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Peter Joseph Swanson's Avatar
    Dandelions are my favorite flower because they grow everywhere! I think the leaves are only good when they are still very young so it's not easy to get them yummy in the wild. They become very bitter so fast. I had a book of edible weeds, as a kid, and was always grabbing things to try and eat too late in the season and they were usually so awful, ha ha ha

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone B-Rad's Avatar
    I'll post pictures of my growing operation and my garden wehn we start it. One acre, four punks, shit tons of food yeah!

---->the only problem with Dandelions is that you have to either have them in pots OR three miles away from a road. They tend to soak up mercury, lead and other byproducts from car exhaust. Their leaves make lovely salads. And the flowers great wine and tea!