Thread: Guatemala

Internet Nerd Punk Punk

Guatemala

Just thought I would start a thread about Guatemala. I had the joy to visit there 3 years ago and attend the PLQU school in Xela. What a rad place, it was recommended by lots of anarchist-type friends who had been there before, one of which had returned 5 times. Basically it's an "activist" language school, it functioned as the guerrilla radio during the civil war and continues to challenge authority in Guatemala. You learn spanish one on one from 8am-1pm 5 days a week. They offer "excursions" almost everyday to places like Fuentes Georginas (hot springs in the tropical cloud forest, one of the most amazing places I've been to in my life) and weekend trips to other parts of Guatemala like Antigua. Plus they have some intense shit like guest speakers who talk about being tortured by the government, mass executions, shit that will make you cry. Some of the teachers are ex-rebel fighters. A lot of the students are rich hippie fucks from places like Vermont but I met one of my best friends in life at this school cause I saw him w/ a stormcrow patch on his hat. Such a bad-ass place I hope to make it back soon, check the website if your interested.

http://www.plqe.org/

That sounds amazing. Have any pictures from your travels???

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    Sounds good ! I'd like to learn spanish, specially as I'm quite often in Spain as my father lives there... And this school seems really interesting... And like Manda, I'd like to see photos too if you have some.
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

sounds great. I have wondered about travel here because i know a couple people from this country, though travel guides on the internet claim it is still very unsafe in many parts even more so than the usual warnings/advice about south and central americas, does this remain true?