Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Not Bombs

Thumbs up Food Not Bombs

Lets hear stories of involvement/how you accumulate food/how you reached out to the community/etc. !

Pictures encouraged!

In Minneapolis we would dumpster a ton of food at Whole Foods and Aldi and whip up some deliciousness that way.

Down here in Birmingham, we've been getting donations from the farmer's market. Today we got a TON of romaine lettuce, squash, mangos, a few green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and potatoes. Food Not Bombs here serves food every Sunday at 1PM. There are always a lot of homeless folks and transients that are fed. It's outside at a busy part of town.
    Haven't been too lucky with dumpstering down here so far.

ALSO- anyone know what it would take to acquire a tax ID? I ask, because the Whole Foods here said they would donate if only we had a tax ID.
    They throw away, into a fucking trash compactor, every night TONS and TONS of food. That could be feeding lot's of people...

Administrator Punk to the bone Leffer's Avatar
    We (DeadState) use to do benefit gigs for them in Denver. Not sure what the status is now in those parts.
    'Within the imagination, there is no law'
    www.andylefton.com
    www.warplague.com

Internet Nerd Punk Punk Alex Distro-y's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mandapocalypse View Post
    ALSO- anyone know what it would take to acquire a tax ID? I ask, because the Whole Foods here said they would donate if only we had a tax ID.
    They throw away, into a fucking trash compactor, every night TONS and TONS of food. That could be feeding lot's of people...
    Just say to them to "forget" to put it into the compactor and just leave the food beside it, and it will have "magically" disappeared by the morning, eveybody wins!!! Don't forget to do lots of winking but not to much or they might think your crazy!!
    Distro-y Records: http://distroyrecords.com/
    D-Beat Beater Blog: http://dbeatbeater.blogspot.com/

Needs a Life Punk to the bone chuckblasty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mandapocalypse View Post
    getting a tax ID is as simple as just applying for one and receiving a number. at least its easy here in TX.

that's what we do. just cruise by Whole Foods 3-4 times a week and pick up baskets upon baskets of produce.
    D O W N / / P U N X / / H - T O W N
    U P T H E D O W N ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Whirlwind View Post
    In the woods you can make electricity... You can befriend wolves and hunt deer with them...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckblasty View Post
    getting a tax ID is as simple as just applying for one and receiving a number. at least its easy here in TX.
    DAMN. Looking into this... seems like you need a business license first ?
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5955963_tax-...r-alabama.html

Needs a Life Punk to the bone chuckblasty's Avatar
    hmm, maybe just a D.B.A. will do?
    D O W N / / P U N X / / H - T O W N
    U P T H E D O W N ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Whirlwind View Post
    In the woods you can make electricity... You can befriend wolves and hunt deer with them...

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone B-Rad's Avatar
    In Duluth, during the summer FNB gives out food at Portland Square once a week. Usually four to five families show up along with a good portion of the local homeless population. On average twenty to thirty people file in when the weather is nice outside. Twice, FNB, has set up a booth just outside of the airport when there is the annual Military Airshow, two years ago they were threatened with arrest for interrupting an event...how I don't know. Most of their food came from local coops, random "radicals", the Dorthy Day House gardens, and from students (whom grew food but where moving out of town). Sometimes the local corporate owned grocery stores kick in and churches also kick down. This town is a bit weird.

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Peter Joseph Swanson's Avatar
    When I worked at a chain pizza place at uptown that sold by the slice we would cook up too much at the end of the day and box it up nice and put it in a trash bag that was separate from the trash and people would wait for it at night at the dumpster. It was still hot and the only thing missing was the Parmesan sprinkles.

There was a crazy filthy looking homeless man who would come in and I would nonchalantly leave a salad bar plate out on one of the tables for him to take and fill up. When the manager caught him once she didn't know I did that, and I told her not to bother the homeless man because he had a hot temper (just made that up, ha ha) and she told me to keep an eye on him and she hid in the back, in her office.

The place closed. I musta bankrupted it. Ops. LOL