Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Not Bombs

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    It's nice to hear punks talking about about doing FNB, too often people/punks now days dismiss FNB as some shit PC activists already do and there's no point in getting involved. In Wilmington NC, a very pretty, uptight, touristy, southern town they actually passed an ordinance making it illegal to feed humans within x-amount of space in the "downtown" area. So we've had to do FNB on the real downlow. We started doing food not bombs during our really really free market, which only happened once a month. We were feeding mostly ourselves and the craigslist-inspired junkers come to pour over free market shit. So we tried to do a monday feeding at a park close by cause Monday's were the only day no one fed in Wilmington. That went real well until the cops shut us down....

And so we're back to feeding once a month at the really really free market and distributing dumpstered/donated food to the punk community, which sounds pretty lame but I think, to make this shit real, you have to start small and go from there. We had trouble getting this super-small community to really pitch in on cooking sunday and monday every week. Plus were getting better at convincing more places to donate and trying to bring more people into the fold. Finally having a system to distribute the sometimes huge amounts of dumpstered food we get is great for us that work early in the morning and can't often drive around the suburban south all night looking for food...

Hot Topic Punk Padawan Daniel von Doom's Avatar
    There was a similar ordinance passed in SF that made FNB famous. I think they passed as some health code violation bullshit.

About that TIN thing, it's actually pretty easy. I have one myself though I hardly ever use it. I intended to use it instead of a Social Security Number for privacy purposes. Manda when I get back to Mpls. I can give it to you to use. But, if you want to get your own go here: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=96696,00.html.
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone read fox's Avatar
    in long beach ca. its even illegal to dumpster. most places have locked dumpsters and video cameras/ flood lights/ security guards! but not all. also, lbpd has there own designated cop that patrols the homeless. he knows most people by name and everyone knows his. he harassed lbfnb big time. threatening threatining threatening! got most of our info... we figured out a while back he's a 9 to fiver lbfnb started serving during his off hours.
    lbfnb hence is a mobile unit. when it was stationary, too many harassments.
    lbfnb know gets its food from farmer market donations, and from friends of lbfnb who work at local restraunts/markets that snag the throw outs!
    companies around long beach area mostly donate all their food to a organization called "foodfinders". so they dont want to donate to fnb. not tax deductable. for a good while i volunteered for "foodfinders" and skimmed the donations for foodnotbombs. i think foodfinders is a national foundation.
    i must say the kids that are handling lbfnb now are doing an amazing job. i'll get back out there sooner than later guys!

weekly servings downtown long beach friday nights! also, protests!

i thought someone might like this news as much as i do. just heard thru the fnb grapevine, the ahole cop i mentioned above, has been fired! now the new cop on duty allows lbfnb to have picnics in the park. i hope that lasts.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    ^ha that's cool. How's everyones FNBs been doing lately? Do the punks still help or is it "activisty" people doing it? FNB in this town has been really sad and occasional, same thing for Raleigh but Greensboro has a really really great FNB that has it's own culture.

our FNB here is still going every Friday afternoon. No, it's not a bunch of punx, too bad soo sad. a couple. I been helping out again every week, i like too. my very local farmers market has been giving generous donations to LBFNB, they are awesome! every week, there has been something. i been thinking about making the farmers a thank you present. like, a little FNB embroidered flag to display at there tables. i wonder if theyd put em up?

a year later our Food Not Bombs Long Beach chapter is still going strong. We got a really, really good group right now. well, thats not fair, always has been. we are about to celebrate our 5 year anniversary, of this particular group.

Quote Originally Posted by mandapocalypse View Post
    ALSO- anyone know what it would take to acquire a tax ID? I ask, because the Whole Foods here said they would donate if only we had a tax ID.
    They throw away, into a fucking trash compactor, every night TONS and TONS of food. That could be feeding lot's of people...
    Here in Tacoma, WA, you would need to apply for a business license and pay an annual fee to the city which is usually $25 or $90 (it depends on how much money your business makes). You would also be responsible for filling out quarterly tax forms.
    If your business makes no money, you would need to put a bunch of zeros in, then remember to pay your $25 every year.

Other cities should have a similar scheme.

Long Beach Food Not Bombs needs volunteers! We got Friday afternoons; Tuesday nights; and Wednesday mornings that need coverage. Even if yer just passing through or hopefully if yer in the area, one day or become a regular, come hang with us. Reach the main contact by internet searching us or u can contact me directly here.

Cheers to you Read Fox, I know the post I'm about to comment on is from Febuary, this year. But it's the first I've read it. Congrats on 5 years, wish ya the best on finding volunteers! (Rhyming was not intentional)
    -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- --
    My internet access is now a tablet, so I can't cut copy paste links. But Keith McHenry & crew has created a Food Not Bombs Free School in New Mexico. A google or facebook search for "food not bombs free school" should pop up the info if interested.
    Last edited by J.Disorder; 08-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.