Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you eat a day?

Internet Nerd Punk Punk Spirochete's Avatar

How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you eat a day?

I just saw something that said that "the average American gets a total of just three servings of fruits and vegetables a day. The latest dietary guidelines call for five to thirteen servings of fruits and vegetables a day (2 to 6 cups per day), depending on one's caloric intake." via http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...es-full-story/
    Also "45% of Americans have no fruits and 22% have no vegetables. Less than 30% have at least 3 servings of vegetables or 2 servings of fruit and just 9% of people have the recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables every day."

So, I'm curious how O and A stacks up on the produce consumption. How many servings do you think you average a day? How many would you like to eat? I get at least 5-7 servings, sometimes more like 9 or 10. I LOVE PRODUCE AND WANT TO EAT AS MUCH OF IT AS I CAN.

Oh and since you guys like politics, why do you think people don't eat enough produce? I know cost plays in for some, but I definitely know a lot of people who live very comfortably but do not eat vegetables regularly. They can go weeks without eating fruit too. DISCUSS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS
    Learning how to love again.

Needs a Life Punk to the bone cat1's Avatar
    I eat probably 1-3 portions a day purely because where I work the ready meal reigns supreme so pretty much live off them. Try and get my 5 a day where I can but I would be lying if I said I did it every day just to sound good. As for why people dont maybe its partly because of cost as spiro said but then partly because people are to bone to cook alot of veg and they dont buy fruit because if its not eaten moderatly quickly it rots and therefore a waste of money. This is not my personal view but I think this may be the general reasons why.
    "I'm just going to return some videotapes"

"I'm leaving. I've assessed the situation, and I'm going"

I've been a raw vegan on and off for 2 years. But I know when I was working, the folk I worked with didn't any any at the canteen. People don't seem to think about it unless they are on some type of specific diet.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    My fruits & veggies intake varies day to day. Some days probably just 3, other days as much as 6 or 7. Then again standard diet suggested serving sizes are smaller than my own (hog jawz) version of what a serving size looks like.
    Not sure why other people have the eating habits they do. If I'd have to guess. I'd say because fresh fruit & veggies cost more than canned & freezer items, and they go bad faster. Maybe those who don't eat any or very little fruits & veggies because they don't know how to prepare them. And for fruits, maybe they're too use to the processed sugar snacks as opposed to the natural sweetness of fruits? I dunno, can only speculate. I also think that some of the food additives in stuff gets people addicted to the lesser healthy stuff. Many people seem to find a $2 bag of potato chips more appealing than 4 apples for $2.00. Many of those same people would eat that bag of chips in one sitting, while if given the apples, would probably only eat one apple, then try to force themselves to eat the rest of them through the next couple days. Maybe upbringing plays a part in it for some folks as well?
    There's probably a bunch of different reasons.
    Life is suddenly good again!

Administrator Punk to the bone Leffer's Avatar
    Mine vary as well. Since my lady is a dietitian and veggie as well, she makes sure we get loaded up on the goods. With fruits, I normally get in 1 apple and 1 banana or apple sauce daily. As for veggies, we roast vegetable a lot and when she cooks, it's usually a mixed bag of all the essentials and last for a good few days. My only down fall is that I resort to veggie burgers and processed food at times. Love my veganaise and veggie burgs!!!!
    'Within the imagination, there is no law'
    www.andylefton.com
    www.warplague.com

Needs a Life Punk to the bone scatter the hatred's Avatar
    No clue. Probably not enough, but that doesn't mean I'm eating chocolate.

Super Moderator Punk to the bone Donofthedead's Avatar
    Way below those standards. I tend to eat a lot of vegetables but very little fruit. Also, I tend to only eat twice a day most days. But my biggest addiction is carbs. Could eat just that. The Asian in me craves rice after a few days of not eating it. That is why I'm the chubster I am.
    If anyone comes across a copy of Bajo Tierra's "Sala X" 7" from Medellin, Colombia. I really want it!

Blogspot = http://donofthedeadpix.blogspot.com/
    I'm Diet! = http://iamdiet.wordpress.com/

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    Fruits and vegetables are the best. I have been known to eat several peaches a day during the season.
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone yan tree's Avatar
    purely random - usually between 2 to 7 a day i guess....mostly veg (do noodles count? ;-)

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Peter Joseph Swanson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirochete View Post
    why do you think people don't eat enough produce?
    Because it isn't processed, with a corporate label on it, in a cool/pretty/cheery/colorful box to MAKE you feel good about it. "Old people" remember when the Chiquita Banana lady came out of the banana peel to sing to us? TV needs more cool dancing fruits and vegetables.

And too many people like to eat food while they drive, so they don't go for the salad at McDonald's because it's too much work (even though they tried and even put Paul Newman's name on it). Fruits and vegetables are healthier but don't leave you feeling full faster and longer so for most people it's just too much hassle. And when people choose a name brand it helps them feel like they belong to the society. If people shopped at farmer's markets then eating an apple would do that too.

It's odd how hard work it is for humans to eat right, and even LEARN to eat right. How many of us eat today how our parents fed us, as kids? Mom had an extremely narrow view of cuisine, and usually depended on hamburger. I bet that was very common. At least she drained the grease off, but that was so we could have a treat for the dog, ha ha (she made up for that with lots of butter on the vegetable dish)