Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: travelling in mexico...

Punk to the bone Padawan

travelling in mexico...

i'm planning to do some extensive traveling in mexico and maybe further south this winter...starting in mexico city and then doing most of the southern states; there's so many places i want to go and see its kind of overwhelming. any tips or advice from anyone who has spent time traveling there? places to go, or see, recommended places to stay? i know for sure i'll most likely be going through oaxaca, chiapas, tabasco, campeche, yucatan..morelos, puebla...;

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    My buddy went to the School of the Americas in Chiapas and really liked it. I spent some time in Guatemala with people that traveled through S. Mexico into Guatemala. Definitely an awesome part of the world. Let us know how your trip went!

Punk to the bone Padawan
    I just got back from a week in Mexico. I was staying about 15 minutes north of Tulum on the Yucatan Peninsula. How are you getting around? Rental car?

Punk to the bone Padawan
    no, taking buses as much as we can...i hear that most passenger trains don't run anymore...don't really have the money for a rental car, but as far as i've gathered most major cities can be accessed via buses, and from there i guess i'll be figuring it out when i'm in the area. its gonna be awesome though, really looking forward to it.

Punk to the bone Padawan
    So this a belated response, but my time in Mexico was phenomenal. Travelled around for just over a month. Main base was Mexico City, staying with friends there -- so fucking busy, its pretty intense wandering around the city sometimes. The subway is like a mosh pit haha. The punks there were really fucking cool, saw some awesome spaces Travelled via bus down Oaxaca coast (beautiful - stayed in a bunch of little towns on the ocean), into Chiapas. Went to Palenque which is fucking rad..nothing cooler then ancient ruins in the middle of a rain forest. Travelled back up the east coast through Veracruz, back around to mexico city. Friends in/from Mexico recommended not going much further north then D.F. as it can get pretty hairy...kind of wished i had gone to Guadalajara though. Amazing country, I hope I will have an opportunity to explore it further some time and maybe further into Central America. Got lots of pictures that I've done nothing with...I'll throw some up at some point.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    Glad that you had a good time, yes please, share your photos with us !

Did you see any wild animals ? Spiders, snakes, anything else ?
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Punk to the bone Padawan
    some lizards....LOTS of stray dogs, its kind of heartbreaking as an animal lover; there were some strange insects when we got into the rain forest in chiapas...and you could hear monkeys a lot there (never spotted one)

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    OK.

Yes, I agree about the dogs... My father moved to Spain when I was fourteen, when I went to see him there, there were also many stray dogs, often in poor conditions... and lots of dogs chained in front of houses who looked like they'd be even better off by being stray dogs themselves, it was really sad. Nowadays, things seem better there. Still, lots of birds in really small cages can be seen at all street markets, and rabbits, chicken, etc...

Maybe it's better that you didn't meet the monkeys, in India, I encountered some really aggressive ones (at the foot of one mountain which I climbed, they even rented big sticks to chase them away !), even in Spain, in a safari park, I got attacked by a monkey, although he was small, it was really scary !
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Punk to the bone Padawan
    hahaha yeah i've heard monkeys can get pretty agro. Some aspects of the markets were pretty grim, a lot of things we're not used to seeing in a super market are right out in the open...and yeah lots of animals in cages being sold for food/pets. Like cages full of chicks that they've dyed there feathers bright colors, parents buy them for their kids...half the time the kids end up killing them accidentally in a couple days ugh. still working on uploading pics, takes longer then i'd like/have more than i thought haha