Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ABC Diabolo

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie_warfare View Post
    but at least on the 1st LP I hear a distinct Prong influence, especially in the riffs and the way the guitar and bass interact.
    interesting. never heard the association before.

bump...because this fucking band turns me on
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Needs a Life Punk to the bone
    Now I know what I will be listening to tomorrow. This band is probably the best thing I have been exposed to through this board. There has been quite a lot of music that I checked out due to other folks talking about them here, but ABC Diabolo are simply amazing. I do not know how I let this band pass me by when it was active but I am glad I caught on eventually.

Administrator Punk to the bone Leffer's Avatar
    ABC Diablo are absolutely amazing! My favorite tune...and very relevant.

'Within the imagination, there is no law'
    www.andylefton.com
    www.warplague.com

Hoping to spark a conversation here or there...

I thought ABC Diabolo's Last Intoxication of the Senses was a gamechanger (to borrow an awful term I hear a lot these days, so I should apologize for ever using it). It was also, possibly, the best crossover album of the 90s. If not the best, at the very least, it was the evolution of 80's crossover; that unexpected next phase. For the first time, I associated that album with The Dagda's 1st album. While nearly entirely different, I think they share some common ground insofar as tonality being such a key ally. Raw. Chaotic. Dense. Unique. Swirling atmosphere. And now that I'm thinking about it, I might have to add Lost's Fear-Strach to that short list of dense, tonally-anchored, highly atmospheric albums. Of course, this is probably just my ear and associations making little sense to anyone else. Not that I'd ever agree, ABC Diabolo could just as easily be considered a more complex Hellnation or something. ABC's 2nd album, while a new direction, was certainly more successful than The Dagda's counterpart.

Further, and potentially more mistaken identity, I'm thinking Give Rise to Doubts was influenced by Norwegian HC, like Kort Prosess and Bannlyst, which were the precursor to bands like His Hero is Gone, Tragedy, and all the melodic crust they would then make trendy. Could Give Rise to Doubts and the Result (Japan) album be the bridge between Norwegian HC and all that? I'm going off memory here. I haven't listened to Give Rise to Doubts for a very long time, and I'm also having a difficult time recalling much about it other than the residual vibe that has stuck with me. I hope I'm not being too silly here.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Needs a Life Punk to the bone imfrusty's Avatar
    one of my all time faves! blacklist described it as antischism meets nausea...my buddy ordered lios and well it was on from there. all though I do not have the 7"...that's going on the dis cogs list..cheers! i'm getting the first one out now! (took me couple years to realize what the cover of lios was...)-always thought it was a garden hose...
    Last edited by imfrusty; 06-02-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: missing wordsz in my stupor...

i'm glad to read things by zeno and zombie again...it's been a while! good to see your faces!

Prong, AntiSchism, Nausea...all associations I doubt I'd ever make. I love talking music. How people hear things is awesome.

The 7" is on the Last Intoxication CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    I love talking music. How people hear things is awesome.

The 7" is on the Last Intoxication CD.
    music is the universal language for sure....I have the lios on vinyl...first press!( I think)

discogs has the 7" 10 of em..starting at almost 11 bones or clams...