Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FOOD INFORMATION and FACTS

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    Environmentalism has to appeal to self-centeredness. It motivates people. Appealing to ethics or moral standards is like pushing the Liberty Bell up K2 both ways. I think it is fair to desire ethics to change the world, but in the meantime, I'll take progression, and the consequences thereof, any way we can get it.
    While this is often true, it becomes problematic when aspects of the personal obsession with toxins and "being natural" (whatever that ACTUALLY means) ultimately end up running against or competing with other, often more important, issues. This is a common thread in a lot of environmental areas-see people who applaud the idea of turning deserts into solar farms. Is it better to farm a smaller piece of land, using integrated pest management (relies on cultural practices, careful monitoring, etc but does allow for occasional use of pesticides when absolutely necessary), or a larger piece and be completely organic? What is really most beneficial for biodiversity, water quality, etc? These issues are rarely black and white. There are times when the purely organic option may seem healthier in terms of individual pesticide exposure, but may actually worse in terms of environmental impact. A lot of critical organic eaters understand this. What I have a problem with is the elevation of concern for personal health to the status of environmental activism. Not even directed at anyone here per se, as I see this a lot IRL.
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    Coke Engineers Its Orange JuiceŚWith an Algorithm

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...h-an-algorithm
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    https://www.change.org/petitions/tel...torturing-pigs

nothing really that surprising, but it still makes me nauseous.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."