Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0405-h...esticides.html
    Researchers recreate bee collapse with pesticide-laced corn syrup
    April 05, 2012

and

Crime
    Honey laundering: The sour side of nature’s golden sweetener
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...10/singlepage/
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Just heard that Monsanto bought the leading bee research company. Ugh! Colony collapse is happening because their GMO food doesn't flower. Now they have bought the leading bee research company! Fucking insane.
    FUCKING GODDAMN!!!!!

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    One of my peoples did a cool project where he looked at colony fitness of local hives and analyzed the honey to determine what plants it was coming from. One of his advisers does a lot of work on the pollination biology of milkweeds (who offered me a potential free trip to the Bahamas). Fascinating area of research.
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk Spirochete's Avatar
    You can't have fruit without flowers. GM fruit still comes from flowers.
    Learning how to love again.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    i think what he is saying is that the product of gm fruit doesn't produce its own flowers. i haven't done any research to see if any of this is factual, i just think that's what he was saying. so, like, a gm fruit couldn't fuck a gm fruit and make baby fruits because they are sterile. or the seeds of them at least. it sounds like nonsense personally.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone yan tree's Avatar
    buts if the bees die - humans can only pollinate a measly % of the stuff bees (other insects/animals are included) do - and therefore squillions of humanz would perish in agony due to massive crop failures (to pollinate) la laaa laaa

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    If I am correct in my research, then, GMO food doesn't flower. It is made specifically not to flower so that you have to buy new seeds. As is the case with corn (and seed cleaners). You have to always BUY new seed. It doesn't "flower" (maybe that is the wrong term). Fuck I'm drunk! hahah sorry. Not sure how it works for fruit. The sterility aspect seems very true. As in corn you can't save/clean seeds. You HAVE to buy new seeds each year OR big trouble. If this stuff is sterile/doesn't flower to produce new then, how will the bees be able to continue? Drunk. Stopping now.
    FUCKING GODDAMN!!!!!

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    What you're talking about is called the terminator gene-the plant doesn't produce viable seed, so you can't plant it and have a new plant grow. Seeds are still produced, but they don't germinate. In order to have seeds, viable or not, the plant has to flower first (assuming it's a flowering plant and not a gymnosperm). The crop part of soybeans, corn, and wheat is the seeds, so if you produced corn that didn't flower and therefore didn't produce seeds, you'd have no corn at all! This lack of viable seed prevents seed saving and there is concern that it could escape into wild populations through cross-pollination.

Corn and wheat are both in the grass family, which is pollinated by wind, not insects (this is why so many people are allergic to grass pollen and why people are concerned about the cross-pollination thing-the pollen can just blow itself any old place onto any other crop), so these crops don't have much to do with honeybees. Acres of corn and wheat don't provide food for them regardless of whether they are transgenic or not-same with lawns. Soybeans and other legumes are insect-pollinated, as are apples, almonds, peaches (all in the rose family) and many other fruit crops. One of the reasons everyone is freaking out about the honeybees is because of their economic importance as pollinators. If they were wild bees that pollinate plants we don't eat, there wouldn't be anywhere near this kind of publicity.

One of the popular hypotheses of the day is that the decline is partially due to a combination of lack of available food (again, wheat and corn monocultures, lawns, etc) making them more susceptible to other stresses including diseases and exposure to harmful chemicals. This study ties right into that-feeding the bees because they can't get enough food on their own leading to an unexpected exposure to harmful pesticides. Also imidacloprid creeps me out and I'm glad most of the places I've worked were successful enough with IPM that we didn't need it.
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    good post. thank you.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Internet Nerd Punk Punk Spirochete's Avatar
    I remember when I was like 12 or 13 and learned honey bees and earthworms aren't native, BLEW MY MIND.
    Learning how to love again.