Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Addiction Anyone?

Sugar Addiction Anyone?

Recent headlines suggest that Americans are addicted to sugar. Researchers (not sited in the news headline, of course) argue that sugar is just as addicting as alcohol and drugs and propose it be regulated and/or taxed by the government. They believe that regulating sugar will ultimately halt the fattening of America and address childhood obesity. I find this an ineffective approach and frankly just more inappropriate ammunition for those that believe sugar is a toxic bio-hazard that any "pure" human being should avoid at all cost (keeping in mind that human beings would simply die without "sugar" aka carbohydrate if completely avoided). I am uncomfortable with the idea that sugar should be regulated by the government as much as I am uncomfortable with the idea that sugar is this "toxic substance". How do you feel about sugar and do you think it is an addictive and/or toxic substance that should be regulated by the government.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Travis N.'s Avatar
    You joined in September, 2010 and this is your first post? I smell a spammer.

Ha ha- ya, I am a huge lazy ass when it comes to technology outside work and classes, and subsequently have not posted anything or hung out much on board. Since Leffer is my significant other, I have a vested interest in becoming more involved in this fine operation. Cheers.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone anorak city's Avatar
    I think all sugar should be illegal especially like ribose and deoxyribose those are the worst they have a lot to do with why people are even here and people commit crimes like pollute so the answer is clear.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Travis N.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
    Ha ha- ya, I am a huge lazy ass when it comes to technology outside work and classes, and subsequently have not posted anything or hung out much on board. Since Leffer is my significant other, I have a vested interest in becoming more involved in this fine operation. Cheers.
    Haha, alright. I honestly didn't read your post. I saw the title and how many posts you had and thought you were a bot. Apologies!

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    People freaking out about sugar is lolz. They will pry my skittles and oranges from my cold dead hands! That said, it annoys the crap out of me when foods that I want to be savory are full of sweeteners.
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Punk to the bone Padawan
    "They" also want you to have prescription to take vitamins.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    I'm okay with regulation if they're actually going to follow through with it. If it is another hollow law/rule/agency, then why even bother? They pump everything full of chemicals, sweeteners, and flavorings. They even juice pet food full of sugars (that corn lobby is very, very powerful and will sell their garbage to anything possible). In the past year, I've read a couple different articles on how it isn't recommended to drink fruit juice because of all the shit in it and the behind the scenes processing happening to it. Also little games of saying a serving of juice is 4oz, because that is what the FDA calls a serving of fruit, and misleading people on the labels. You drink a full cup (8oz) of juice, and you get more sugars and calories than if you downed a can of Coke. They process the fruit to the extent that pure juice would almost have no nutritional value, so they have to add vitamins to it. Might as well take a pill and avoid the sugars and calories. My point is that it shouldn't be a constant burden on consumers to have to know every little thing about every product. Backdoors and loopholes to the other regulations make it reasonable [to me] to regulate sugar as an inexpensive additive that they throw at everything.

I think this all plays into the high yield/low nutritional content of our crops. Call it fruit, but it barely resembles fruit in any other way than an orange still looks like an orange. If you're going to look to it for food and nutrition, you have to add 40 things to it to make it taste like an orange and for it to provide the nutrients of an orange.

I could think of tens of other things that need fixing or actual enforcing over this sugar stuff, but since they can't touch those, they have to come up with other rules to combat the ills of the neglected regulations already in place. It's a big circle jerk with the desperate hope that something good will come out of any of it.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone read fox's Avatar
    and IF the fuckers are gonna regulate anything to do with "sugar", how bout starting at the literal root of the issue. where it's grown, how n by whom it's harvested and how it gets to the processing plants then to our tables.
    also, who deems the "cost/value" and why. does it never goes hand in hand?

what gives with stevia?

and IF the fuckers are gonna regulate anything to do with "sugar", how bout starting at the literal root of the issue. where it's grown, how n by whom it's harvested and how it gets to the processing plants then to our tables.
    Good point- I find it rather unsettling to think of what actually happens to our food from farm to table. Food has certainly changed over the years and perhaps there is more to blame than just "sugar" (which needs to be separately defined as to not be confused with the natural sugars coming from whole fruit (fructose) and dairy (lactose)). I try to eat as much food as I can that is "from the earth" and not "precessed" but often wonder what even happens to the "wholesome, organic, whole foods" from farm to table. I become very interested in looking at food labels and seeing how many artificial ingredients and additives are stuffed into something they so eliquently call "natural". And what does give with stevia? It is marketed as a "natural" sweetner that comes from a plant but I am not convinced it isn't just processed junk! Tastes like chemicals.