Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australia : stop racist law (petition)

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar

Australia : stop racist law (petition)

"We were made to feel like criminals in our own lands. We lost all control over our lives."
    -- Dhalulu Ganambarr-Stubbs of the Yolngu people.

The Australian government is trying to extend legislation that will strip Indigenous communities of their basic rights. Australian grassroots movement Stand for Freedom is launching a international campaign to stop it.
    Sign the Petition : http://www.change.org/petitions/aust...e=action_alert

Since 2007, the Australian government has stripped Indigenous people of basic freedoms. Police can enter their homes without a warrant. Aboriginal criminal suspects have no right to remain silent. And the possession of a single can of beer can be punished with 6 months in jail [1].

The policies have been condemned as "racist" by the United Nations and human rights groups [2]. Since they began, suicide attempts have more than doubled, and Aboriginal people's life expectancy is 20 years lower than the rest of the population [3]. Yet the government is pushing to extend the legislation for the next 10 years.

But a huge international outcry can shame the Australian government into ending these policies. Indigenous rights movement Stand for Freedom has started a huge Change.org petition -- if thousands join now, the Australian government will see that the international community is watching -- and will not stand idly by while it strips Indigenous people of basic rights and freedoms.

Sign the petition to stop the Australian government from taking away the rights of Indigenous communities for another 10 years.

The Australian government has a long history of speaking out in favour of human rights -- the last thing it wants is for attention to turn to its own controversial actions. A huge international outcry can shine a spotlight on the government’s actions -- and ensure it doesn’t get the support needed to pass the laws in parliament this week.

The government should withdraw this legislation.

It has been developed without the free, prior and informed consent of Aboriginal communities, and it will give the Government 10 more years of control.

Aboriginal Elders, community leaders and Aboriginal organisations across the Northern Territory have opposed the legislation, and are demanding the right to control their own futures. Years of this top-down policy-making by the Government have taken power away from communities and have overseen increasing poverty and social breakdown.

Since the Northern Territory Intervention started in 2007:
    - Incarceration of Aboriginal people has increased by 41%
    - Attempted suicide and self-harm amongst Aboriginal youth has doubled
    - Aboriginal life expectancy continues to be the lowest of any Indigenous group on the world.

The Government should give Aboriginal people the right to control their own futures.

Please sign the petition, and ensure the Government withdraws the legislation in its current form.
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Super Moderator Punk to the bone Donofthedead's Avatar
    Done
    If anyone comes across a copy of Bajo Tierra's "Sala X" 7" from Medellin, Colombia. I really want it!

Blogspot = http://donofthedeadpix.blogspot.com/
    I'm Diet! = http://iamdiet.wordpress.com/

Link wont open
    Still too punk to fuck Rupert Murdoch

http://busteddistro.blogspot.com/ - DIY distro since 2003
    www.myspace.com/aggressoradio - DIY punkrock radio for 10 years
    www.myspace.com/ballemalurt - acoustic pop/punk-soloproject, all songs downloadable for free

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone damien inbred's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this, Heinrich. I hope more people are signing it and looking at this topic, even though there is no mention of rare Japanese hardcore eps anywhere.
    Love,
    Damien Inbred

DOOMED SOCIETY RECORDS:
    ISKRA "ruins" LP out now!!
    WAR//PLAGUE "carrion" LP OUT IN JUNE!

http://damieninbred.tumblr.com
    http://www.doomedsocietypunx.com

done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarte View Post
    Link wont open
    I don't know what's the matter, it opens when I click on it...

And to all of you : thanks for caring !
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Banned Punk
    Anyone see the Vice Magazine documentary about teenage Aborigine heavy metal gangs? There was a part where some of the teens were saying that life was better and less violent whenever alcohol was prohibited because now everyone just smokes pot. And they would have these dance offs to metal music.

worked now. Zigned and spread.

Should we do a benefit 7" perhaps? To raise awareness.
    Still too punk to fuck Rupert Murdoch

http://busteddistro.blogspot.com/ - DIY distro since 2003
    www.myspace.com/aggressoradio - DIY punkrock radio for 10 years
    www.myspace.com/ballemalurt - acoustic pop/punk-soloproject, all songs downloadable for free

Quote Originally Posted by Derazzios View Post
    Anyone see the Vice Magazine documentary about teenage Aborigine heavy metal gangs? There was a part where some of the teens were saying that life was better and less violent whenever alcohol was prohibited because now everyone just smokes pot. And they would have these dance offs to metal music.

No, I'll try to find it. And I can see your point of view. It's a difficult matter but I couldn't accept a law that says that one race is allowed to buy alcohol and another one not... Even if it's with a good intention. Of course I'd support it if it came from a majority of aborigines themselves.
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarte View Post

Should we do a benefit 7" perhaps? To raise awareness.
    Could you also do one for me so I can finish paying off my taxes ? And then there's the roof of the house to be repaired and wait, thinking of it, there's a bunch of records I'd like to get, so make some benefit 7" for me first
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)