Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos from north korea.

Needs a Life Punk to the bone dave's Avatar

Photos from north korea.

posted this elsewhere but as i am quite proud of these photos and having pulled this off ill post it again. also im gonna put up a bunch more in the next few days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/instant...7629287134372/

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures. They're quite impressive, in my mind they convey something bleak and "dangerous" (even the one of the locals watching you) yet they make me want to see North Korea for myself... Was it difficult for you to enter the country ? Did you have to hire a guide or could you go everywhere by yourself ?
    Last edited by @-Rainbow; 03-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Internet Nerd Punk Punk crustybeckham's Avatar
    Do they really eat American babies?

Quote Originally Posted by @-Rainbow View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures. They're quite impressive, in my mind they convey something bleak and "dangerous" (even the one of the locals watching you) yet they make me want to see North Korea for myself... Was it difficult for you to enter the country ? Did you have to hire a guide or could you go everywhere by yourself ?
    i went with a tour group. theres a couple- the one i went with was organized by a british company in beijing (aka the smoggiest city in the known universe) but some others are organized by juche (north korean communist ideology pioneered by kim il sung) purists and the preaching is apparently waaay more strong. either way when you enter you are handed over to kitc which is the north korean state tourism company. there is no way to travel alone there. photography is strictly controlled. you have to go to a socialization briefing before, since you are walking into, more or less, a hybrid between a 1950's stalinist totalitarian state and a massive relgious cult that permeates the entire national identity. fucking, freaky. the entire time you are with guides except when you are your hotel at which point you are free to either watch one of 2 state tv stations (which are either kim jung il smiling at children or endless rocket and artillery exercises) or drink north korean beers and sing karaoke with the heavily drinking and quite friendly minders (obviously this is what i mostly did). big hits included "danny boy", "Heiju" (a town in north korea, actually they were singing hey jude), or "cnc", a local song about the engineering collective that created a new state-of-the-art (in the dprk) lathe. frankly, it is the only time in my life that i didnt find karaoke unbearable.

Needs a Life Punk to the bone scatter the hatred's Avatar
    Impressive.

i threw in some shots of the pyongyang times, the english language state paper, just to give a bit of context. yes, it really is that extreme.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    dave when i looked at these i was so impressed and proud of you that you went through with that. it seems like it must have been pretty scary and really gives you a sense of the big picture. i thought your photographs were gorgeous and i was surprised by how lovely the place is even with all the weirdo imagery and state regime feeling. also, it reminded me that i had a dream about you last night (!?!).

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Thanks for photos... Some of them look like going back in time to 1980's russia.
    Did they check your camera in border or so???