Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey y'all.. What the fuck can ya tell me about Georgia?

Internet Nerd Punk Punk

Hey y'all.. What the fuck can ya tell me about Georgia?

So, I might be moving to Georgia next year & figured that I'd try to get a head start at finding info on certain areas. I might be moving to either Dahlonega (really small town, about 1hr from Atlanta), or Cummings (I hear it's about 30 mins from Atlanta). Anybody from those areas?
    Any info at all about those places would be appreciated.

Also, info on Atlanta would be cool too. I plan to ocassionally visit there on weekends.
    Life is suddenly good again!

Needs a Life Punk to the bone scatter the hatred's Avatar
    What do you want to know? Can't help you with the small towns, but can help with Atlanta. I don't live there anymore, but I'm in and out on a regular basis as my wife is from there. Not sure there's anyone on here that actual lives there now.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Is there still gold in Dahlonega? Ha Don't know much about either place you might move to. Little 5 Points in ATL was my stomping ground. Good record store there. Not sure what it's like now. Lots of cameras everywhere if I remember correctly. East Atlanta turned into a big place to hang out. Used to be the ghetto where we all lived but, I guess it's the cool place to be now. Not sure where shows are now. I've heard of a place called the Unicorn. I assume Masquerade is still around. I thought a couple people on here were from ATL and/or Athens. Maybe they can chime in with a little better knowledge. ^^^^^^^ I'M WAITING FOR THE OTOPHOBIA REUNION!!!!!! hahahahahaha Maybe Clavin will get back together as well for a one off in Springvale Park.
    FUCKING GODDAMN!!!!!

haha. We actually did one. No idea why. It might have gone over better in another city. oh well, It was an excuse to see Age. Drunken Unicorn is MJQ across the street from Kroger on Ponce.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Thanx for replying to my post!
    Hell, I'm looking for just about any info. Being that those areas are small towns, & in a "red" state, I fearfully assume the worst.
    Not sure if there's still gold in Dahlonega. After reading the wikipedia page, that was one of my first questions.

I guess I'm looking for info on:
    * music related stuff (show venues, record shops)
    * book/anarchist info shops
    * flea markets/farmers markets
    * vegan/vegan-friendly places to eat or grocery stores
    * anything of potential interest: punk/hardcore, anarchist, hippie/rainbow.

I can't speak to venues because I don't go to shows down there anymore, but...

Record stores -

Wax n' Facts - in Little 5 Points (decent store with too much crap in it, but the go to place for newer punk records in Atlanta)
    Wuxtry - near Emory University (pretty picked over these days, but I always swing by since I have found a lot there over the years)
    Booknook - close to Wuxtry (ditto and also lots of cheap books/dvds/vhs)
    Full Moon - Small place, fairly good quality control so it's a quick look. Eat at Flying Biscuit while you are there.

- I know there were/are a couple in East Atlanta on Flat Sholes Road. I don't know if they still exist as I never go over there, but they were on the main drag.

Book Stores - unfortunately my favorites are gone. I'm sure there are a ton I don't know about, especially outside downtown.

Acapella Books - The kind of go to place. Used to be in Little Five Points and recently moved nearby. Good for beat type stuff and a pretty good selection.
    Book Nook - (see above)
    Charis Books - Lesbian owned store that gets overlooked a lot. Right in Little Five Points, probably stocks more political stuff than most places down there.

Vegan Grocery Store/Farmers Market -

Sevenanda - in Little Five Points. Pretty big grocery store with a good selection and people that could point you towards the local hippy dippy shit if that's your thing.
    Decatur Farmers Market - This place is amazing and CHEAP. If you've been to Reading Terminal its like that on steroids with a crazy set of immigrant workers from all over Asia/Africa. If you're ever there, check out Kudzu next door. Not cheap, but interesting huge flea market/antique store type place w/ small selection of records.
    Grant Park Farmers Market - I spend most of my time in Grant Park when I'm there. Beautiful area and they've started doing these on Sunday mornings. It's not a huge affair, but surpringly good food brought in from local farms. Not so much lots of veggies as interesting cheeses, salt (!), breads, peaches (of course), etc. In Grant Park, there is also the zoo and an olympic sized pool in the park that is actually clean and has a separate place for little kids. Oh and the Cyclorama (google it).

There are other Farmer's Markets around, i think Candler Park has one now too. Haven't seen it.

Restaurants -

I'm out of date (and only vegetarian), but where we eat -

Eats - Good pasta joint on Ponce de Leon
    Flying Biscuit - Great all day breakfast food that does have vegan options. Next to Full Moon records and a couple small shops in Candler Park.
    Hovan - It's only in Perimeter Mall and Lenox Mall, but if you ever get there, this is one of my favorite foods and attempts to fanchise outside of Atlanta have failed for some reason. They might succeed now that vegan is gourmet, but they were a little too early for that. It's a Mediterranean wrap (there is a vegan one). Unreal.
    Grant Park Coffee - If you happen to be down there, there are some vegan breakfast foods and the coffee is good (most coffee in Atlanta sucks).
    Ria's Bluebird Cafe - Good breakfast joint w/ vegan options in Grant Park across the street from a historical cemetary. Highly recommended.

There are more. Pick up the free paper, Creative Loafing while there and you'll see them. Again, East Atlanta has placed that I don't know about. Bars and such.

I'm not really 100% what this place is. I know they do shows there, I think it's sort of a community center. Maybe book store/info shop? Never been there.
    http://www.wonderroot.org/

Also, unrelated, but if you happen to be around in the Summer, I encourage you to check out a movie at the Fox Theater. It's a local landmark and they have a weekend night summer series where they play old movies. It's pretty fun and the place is beautiful. We just saw the Princess Bride there and the audience was yelling out the lines and stuff. Good times.
    Last edited by scatter the hatred; 08-06-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Thanx for the info!
    I might one day visit Atlanta. Though after weighing the pros & cons, moving to Dahlonega probably wouldn't be in my best interests.

Can't blame you. You should check out Atlanta if you're in the Southeast. One of my favorite cities. It feels like a small town but has all the good parts about a major city (and is still affordable), though obviously if it were perfect I'd still be there. I may end up there again if my wife has her say. Honestly my least favorite thing about it is that its location, but obviously it wouldn't be what it is if it were elsewhere. In a lot of ways it reminds me of the Northwest. Cheap, friendly, victorian houses, porches, full of refugees from more expensive areas, less pretentious than larger cities, etc.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Atlanta rules. Most of the punk/metal shows lately have been going on at 529 Wells. Scatter hit the good restaurants there, except for Panda which has an all vegan menu to compliment it's not vegan menu. Java Lords in Little 5 has the best coffee, Criminal Records is where you can find decent punk/metal releases although they're a little over priced. Either way, the DIY scene in Atlanta is alive and kicking. Lots of killer folks. I'd check out the Atlanta metal forum to see what's going on.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk
    Who's booking gigs in Atlanta these days? Trying to have Inservibles (Mexico) play there next month but having no luck.