Thread: potentially gonna run a vegan/veggy cafe - advice needed!!!

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone yan tree's Avatar

potentially gonna run a vegan/veggy cafe - advice needed!!!

hey @rainbow, be careful what you wish for eh mate?!

at work (i'm a nurse currently) been given many notifications that i may be sacked/made redundant by June this year. I jokingly said to @rainbow that I'd like to work in a vegan cafe
    well, our friend who has a 2 year old vegan/veggie cafe in the city centre wants to leave & travel in 9 months time & wants someone to 'take-over' the place

holy karma....as one door shuts another opens

so, seriously looking into taking this on board.

I have worked in the 1 in 12's vegan/veggie cafe as a volunteer during 1990-1991. then i worked as a pizza delivery driver 1992-1994, also worked as a catering assistant in an elderly care-home through 1994. so i know a bit about kitchens.

and i've been vegan since - jeez 1986, probably....

but being my own boss, working to feed passers by & having to try & make a profit...for the sole reason to keep this place running, hmmmmmmm thats a new one!
    Brench, my old mate, used to have 2 shops 'Vegonia' selling only vegan stuff. his last one (in Nantwich) closed about 2 years ago...last I'd heard was that he'd got a 2 year lease (he closed the shop after 6 months) and that he'd loaned 10,000 £ from banks....basically which he'll still owe. (i do believe his 1st shop in Portmadocc in North Wales is still alive [fingers crossed])

yeah basically i have no business sense, no capitalistic bone in my body, yet i wanna keep alive & productive & i love food, love cooking, love veganism too.

lotsa people 'say' they will help but talk is cheap isn't it

any body got any business sense or don e anything similar or heard of anyone who has got experience in all this? any help, advice, is positively craved.
    also, anyone with an organize and arise username will get a free kismet hc cd when you order a plate of beans on toast!

oh yeah thats the 2nd question - after the business sense thing

what the fuck should i make ?!

it needs to be quick, healthy, ethical, nutritious, filling, and cheap....and vegan
    any ideas for a cool menu??????
    Last edited by yan tree; 02-27-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Administrator Punk to the bone Leffer's Avatar
    This may be a dumbass American thing, but when I hit up Vegan Coops and such, I'm always wanting to find biscuits and gravy. At least the killer veg sausage gravy.
    'Within the imagination, there is no law'
    www.andylefton.com
    www.warplague.com

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone anorak city's Avatar
    Yan I will give you a bomb ass Philly cheesesteak (seitan) recipe if you want. The only unknown variable is that I don't know what vegan cheese you'd have available and how well it melts.

I have mad other sandwich ideas too.

yes please

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    Hey, that's good news !

Of course, it'll be hard work. And I think it's a very good thing for you to know that you have no skills as a "business man"... 'cause you can only get better when you acknowledge your weaknesses.

Now, not having a well-developed business sense is no problem when you're a nurse, it is one if you're your own boss.

If you have any scruples for asking for the right price, then you should just be able to explain it, both to yourself as to complaining customers (and if you get punx in your café, I'm sure you'll have some complaining, at many gigs I her some crying about $5 being too much for three bands, or $13 being too much for a 12")...

You should definitely follow a course, learning how to be an independent worker, learn to make a business plan and to defend it in front of a jury or at least in front of your teacher. When I was unemployed and when I still wanted to open a café myself, I had such a course payed for me by the unemployment office. It didn't take so long, but it was really interesting, honestly I enjoyed it a lot. There were interesting people, the teachers were motivating and I learnt new skills. Then I also had to take courses and to pass an exam to get the license allowing me to run a café. This was a bit harder, a bit longer but very interesting too. From economics, to hygiene, to laws, etc... we got instructed about a lot of different matters.

Now I don't know about the requirements in the U.K., I suppose that the license will be needed, whatever it's called over there. Then you should definitely establish a business plan or talk to your friend about costs (all of them, including food, drinks, electricity, wages, phone & internet, cleaning products, etc, etc) and prices of what you have to buy, your own wage, so as to allow you to work out a margin on each food / drink you're going to sell.

Then, remember that you'll have to work harder than as an employee if you want to survive.

As for the food, I'd stick to things you like making and eating yourself. Foods which you've seen go well with the crowds at other vegan cafés (if you don't frequent them, do it now). Also, check out the surroundings. Are there many offices around, with people wanting some fast food, or is it rather a place where families go out to dinner ? Don't forget to adapt a bit to the local clientele.

You're lucky to have your friend who's running the place right now, ask him / her lots of question, hang around the café, help out, even for free but make sure to spend a lot of time in there to see if you like it (sometimes everything seems nice as long as its a fantasy, then reality can let us down).

And make some vegan poutine please ! http://thefrugalvegan.net/?p=2485
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Quote Originally Posted by @-Rainbow View Post
    Hey, that's good news !

Of course, it'll be hard work. And I think it's a very good thing for you to know that you have no skills as a "business man"... 'cause you can only get better when you acknowledge your weaknesses.

Now, not having a well-developed business sense is no problem when you're a nurse, it is one if you're your own boss.

If you have any scruples for asking for the right price, then you should just be able to explain it, both to yourself as to complaining customers (and if you get punx in your café, I'm sure you'll have some complaining, at many gigs I her some crying about $5 being too much for three bands, or $13 being too much for a 12")...

You should definitely follow a course, learning how to be an independent worker, learn to make a business plan and to defend it in front of a jury or at least in front of your teacher. When I was unemployed and when I still wanted to open a café myself, I had such a course payed for me by the unemployment office. It didn't take so long, but it was really interesting, honestly I enjoyed it a lot. There were interesting people, the teachers were motivating and I learnt new skills. Then I also had to take courses and to pass an exam to get the license allowing me to run a café. This was a bit harder, a bit longer but very interesting too. From economics, to hygiene, to laws, etc... we got instructed about a lot of different matters.

Now I don't know about the requirements in the U.K., I suppose that the license will be needed, whatever it's called over there. Then you should definitely establish a business plan or talk to your friend about costs (all of them, including food, drinks, electricity, wages, phone & internet, cleaning products, etc, etc) and prices of what you have to buy, your own wage, so as to allow you to work out a margin on each food / drink you're going to sell.

Then, remember that you'll have to work harder than as an employee if you want to survive.

As for the food, I'd stick to things you like making and eating yourself. Foods which you've seen go well with the crowds at other vegan cafés (if you don't frequent them, do it now). Also, check out the surroundings. Are there many offices around, with people wanting some fast food, or is it rather a place where families go out to dinner ? Don't forget to adapt a bit to the local clientele.

You're lucky to have your friend who's running the place right now, ask him / her lots of question, hang around the café, help out, even for free but make sure to spend a lot of time in there to see if you like it (sometimes everything seems nice as long as its a fantasy, then reality can let us down).

And make some vegan poutine please ! http://thefrugalvegan.net/?p=2485
    awesome advice! heinrich@rainbow - thought about a business plan thingy. but

i'm thinking they'll fire me in june - yet Charlie (female of the species), who runs it currently - won't finish til about november. so i wont have a job from june - therefore 4 months of no work - i.e. money??????

dunno, my head can't get around it as yet. though I'm already there & cooking you a veggyburger - in another [part of my head. which, to me, means i can do it! - but maens i gotta getr my 'other' bit of my head around it.

maybe its left side vs right side of my brain?

dunno which is which - one i remember is artistic/ creative - blah
    t'other is logical, something to do with maths?????

ha ha ha ha

if it does happen, i want you to jump on a plane & come & visit my shop!

if possible i want bands to play, meetings to happen & a revolution to be born in the minds of all who frequent

oh what a surprise - seems like the current owner has given it to someone else!
    buggeration

charlie has/is going to: sell/sold all the stuff - so its very very dead - oh well, another dream bites the dust of waking thought
    such is reality

all about never saying never isn't it?!!!
    weel, there's a place that used to be a sandwich bar in the nearby town centre and I'm actually quite interested in its potential!

re-dream the impossible dream ha ha ha.
    might book an appointment to have a look. but you peeps probs know i'm a homicidal axe-weilding nihilistic negative creepy type chappie most of the time.
    so all I can see is possibly struggling for a year & then closing down bankrupt! but d'ya kno what - I don't fuckin care if that is the future - been bankrupt before & I'll've had a blast for a year doing something crazy! ha ha ha

very much in the 'what if' stage currently but hey, watch this space (or don't ha ha...I mean a purely vegan cafe ina town of ????700,00 humans of which probs 0.7% are possibly vegan - let alone 7 or 8 % veggie) what are they gonna do when they call in for their cream cheese bruillaie (???) or mozzarella bagel with sprinkles of free range egg yolk on a platter of crusty salad...and i tell them you can have vegan cheese or fuck off...ha ha ha (in a polite way ov course!)

inspiration: