Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PROFANE EXISTENCE - Back to our roots

Administrator Punk to the bone Leffer's Avatar

PROFANE EXISTENCE - Back to our roots

We've seen it before, but not like this. Things are moving and talks have been had.

http://profanexistence.com/2014/10/0...efforts-begin/
    'Within the imagination, there is no law'
    www.andylefton.com
    www.warplague.com

Banned Punk
    You want an honest opinion (no shit-talk, just being real)? I feel Dan killed PE's name by...

1. Flip-Flopping (at bipolar levels) his interest or lack of interest in keeping things going, killing the "brand" multiple times over a short time span.

2. Openly engaging in too many clown antics on the old iterations of the board. (arguing too much with trolling idiots)

3. Constant "migration" of the various boards.

4. Refusal to accept the realities of putting out mediocre music, coupled with download culture. He spent more time trash-talking download sites, then complaining (loudly) when insanely over-pressed records on PE weren't "moving units". You can't ask for handouts to keep a label going that puts out uninteresting music at pressings in the thousands. It's not our job to keep ANY label afloat...no matter how well-intentioned that label is. (his demanding attitude and extreme entitlement to punk dollars always put me off).

5. The most important (and no puns intended), continuous witch hunts on people who did not exercise "thought control" (seriously, how PE was 10 years ago was frightening to me. I don't mean this as a jab, but it very much reminded me of born-again types, with God replaced by Crass). Demonization of people over rumors or personal beefs. I'm shocked he was never sued for slander. (yeah, I'm one to talk).

I'm not an anarchist, I'm not anti-authoritarian...but I had far more respect for PE before Dan let things get to the way they were. There were no petty arguments or butthurt feelings on message boards 20 years ago. As it stands now, this move to different "curators" would drastically improve the name's standing. Keep the name depersonalized, keep beefs private instead of public, DON'T DEMONIZE STRANGERS, and I think things will look better for all interested.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone anorak city's Avatar
    I didn't even know Dan wasn't running the show for the past 3 years, so that shows how much attention I've been paying. What's the general opinion out there about PE's relevancy over the past half decade?

Also just curious, but why adopt PE's name instead of starting with something completely fresh? Easier? Wanting to bring new life to a name that meant a lot to a lot of people over the past 25 years while maintaining its longevity?

Anyway, good news, best of luck to all involved.

Internet Nerd Punk Punk MC Lutang's Avatar
    Yep. Im sure a lot of people lost interest throughout the years and for various reasons. Dans a great buddy but we do things different ways. I don't agree with every single choice that anyone makes. (Including half of my own) That being said Im really thankful for the time that Dan and Ben put into PE. Im also extremely grateful to all the time Dan spent with ATU. He gave us a chance and showed us the ropes. So yes Im in know way talking shit either but I do understand your resentment. ... Bottom line we are picking it now starting fresh and hoping to set a lot of things right. If you or anyone else have suggestions on better ways to move forward they are welcome. Lets focus on that and not dwell on the bullshit. I know that many of us felt like it became ridiculous with infighting, silly promos, and whatever the fuck that country cd nonsense was. I know I did at times myself . However I feel that we can make it pretty damn cool again. So yeah lets do this!

Internet Nerd Punk Punk MC Lutang's Avatar
    Also just curious, but why adopt PE's name instead of starting with something completely fresh? Easier? Wanting to bring new life to a name that meant a lot to a lot of people over the past 25 years while maintaining its longevity?
    You answered your own question. Because its something we feel personal about. PE was hugely influential for me and I know it was to many others. We don't want it to fizzle out.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone damien inbred's Avatar
    It would be impossible for me to agree 100% with everything done by anyone or any "organization" that's been active for 25 years. Things get tried out - some work, and some don't. That being said, I've been on PE's side more often than not, but the last few years have left me feeling somewhat disillusioned. After talking with Chris this afternoon, I truly believe that this is the right direction. PE was arguably the most important force in North American anarchopunk during the '90s, and I believe that Chris and Josh are the best people to carry the torch at this point. There was a time where I was seriously considering picking it up myself, but I know that would have been a trainwreck. I've been a part of the PE family for close to ten years now, and as of today, I think the future of PE is looking much brighter than I would have thought even three days ago.
    Love,
    Damien Inbred

DOOMED SOCIETY RECORDS:
    ISKRA "ruins" LP out now!!
    WAR//PLAGUE "carrion" LP OUT IN JUNE!

http://damieninbred.tumblr.com
    http://www.doomedsocietypunx.com

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone damien inbred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mc lutang View Post
    you answered your own question. Because its something we feel personal about. Pe was hugely influential for me and i know it was to many others. We don't want it to fizzle out.
    ^ this
    Love,
    Damien Inbred

DOOMED SOCIETY RECORDS:
    ISKRA "ruins" LP out now!!
    WAR//PLAGUE "carrion" LP OUT IN JUNE!

http://damieninbred.tumblr.com
    http://www.doomedsocietypunx.com

Administrator Punk to the bone Leffer's Avatar
    Yes, at this point PE is irrelevant and has been for years. Those specific words have even come out of more mouths than I can count. It's troubling how PE's name is stained with this deterioration and almost cursed. There's been a small handful of us that have really talked about starting over with a clean slate, new name, etc. Which I'm still game for, but the there's also a good handful of folks that can attempt to turn PE around.

So yes, PE is irrelevant and a new direction needs to be taken, so pardon the skepticism, but we've seen this happen more times than we can count, so with that, I hope it can really take a turn for the better. Being a part of PE for over 15 years and also supporting it since it started, I've always supported what Dan has done with PE (besides the bad ideas that's dug itself so far into the ground). The name is tainted and some of it's laughable, but let's see what this new venture brings. I'm at the forefront to help with anything and have even been speaking about partnering up the board with the PE name, since I started this place from the old PE ashes. Needless to say O&A is the forerunner of this board and as a label, but also PE is a family member of this place, cursed or not.

Let's support everyone involved. This seems to be a global initiative and either the flame will burn bright once again, or this will be the final stand for PE, and if so, please put a bullet in the head of this once thriving resource.

Punks....up them.
    'Within the imagination, there is no law'
    www.andylefton.com
    www.warplague.com

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone @-Rainbow's Avatar
    Not much to add to what's already been said. I'll judge the result when I'll have seen it but I'm quite confident that I'll like it.

I'm really happy that the zine will be back, most of the latest releases weren't my cup of tea but I always loved the zine. If it's done in the same spirit, then it'll be a success, I'm sure of that.

Good luck to you Chris and to Josh (no idea if he's on the board too).
    Walk in beauty...
    (A)//(E)

Moderator Punk to the bone backwoodsvegan's Avatar
    I'm pretty excited to see how this goes. PE was huge for me in the beginning and up until about a year ago I had been a contributor since the mid to late 90s. With all th eups and downs and people coming and going, I'd really like to see good things happen and see PE "make punk a threat again". I know that was cheesy, but I stand by it. Just no more bar codes, please.