Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vegan thanksgiving menu

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone anorak city's Avatar

vegan thanksgiving menu

I always hated typical Thanksgiving food. Having to suffer through meals with the Pennsylvania Dutch side of the family and their bland, boring, bullshit ass food was never fun, and became pretty much unendurable after going vegetarian. It got better after a couple years when my mom would hook it up w/ a tofurkey and corpse-free stuffing, which is edible, but not delicious. Well, the head matriarch has been a few years dead, and so has her senseless repression of flavorful expression (specifically garlic). SO, there are a handful of vegans and vegetarians at the table this year, and I'm thinking if I'm up for it, I'll cook up a whole bunch of appropriately autumnal dishes that aren't wanting for flavor and spice. I have a few ideas. But what's on YOUR menu this year?

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone yan tree's Avatar
    what is thanksgiving? & what is the point?
    sorry, typical english jaded sense of 'those bloody yanks' doing weird shit again.

from what I've gleaned its to do with the Mayflower landing - some puritanical rejects of england - some turkeys - some genocide - and The Addams Family 2

please enlighten me

vegan is the awesome bit, of course!

Thanksgiving is a holiday of dubious origin where you get a four day weekend at the end of November, and you have to have a big family meal. The point is you are supposed to give thanks to the poor pilgrims that sacrificed so much for all the things you damn kids take for granted, and also to the natives who graciously yielded their lands so the European settlers could improve it.
    Last edited by anorak city; 11-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone read fox's Avatar
    errk reading what thankgiving is irritates me. the adams family 2 is so funny.

I cook the thanksgiving meal, my kid counts on it, all her friends moms invite her over for the real thing but she wants me to cook and enjoys our vegan take of it.
    i try few but flavor and laborious packed dishes with lots of garlic. its usually the biscuits and dessert that really makes it stand out. and i make sure there is enough for left overs all weekend so i dont have to cook for a couple of days. thanksgiving is mashed potatoes and gray with biscuits for breakfast for two or three days in a row. if the biscuits last that long.

Seitan roast stuffed with leeks and mushrooms. Jalapeno corn gravy.
    Acorn squash stuffed with seitan sausage and cornbread stuffing. Or pie pumpkins stuffed with sausage and wild rice and stuff
    Scallion mashed potatoes
    Sweet potato and black bean chilli (extra hot)
    Spicy maple brussel sprouts
    Some kinda quinoa thing

Needs a Life Punk to the bone Hartig Net's Avatar
    Still not sure if I'm hosting or traveling, so I haven't thought about it. Here's a copy of last year's Cornucopia Fest menu idea log, *means I actually made it:
    Potatoes dauphinoise* (not vegan but I'm sure a vegan version could be planned)
    Leek and quinoa soup with spicebush and herbs*
    Mock duck with sassafras glaze*
    Roasted cauliflower and eggplant*
    Acorn squash mash with garlic
    Cranberry relish*
    Pawpaw ice cream
    Spinach salad*
    Pickled beets
    Marinated roasted peppers
    Key lime pie shortbread bars
    Cherry almond cake (aka Apheloria virginiensis cyanide special)
    THATS THE DIY MOST THING I CAN THINK OF, EXCEPT LIKE PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLANTS ARE STRAIGHT CRIMETHINC

Determinism takes some killing.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone crapscreamer's Avatar
    Here's a recipe for the delicious Spanish-style garbanzo and spinach stew I am bringing to this year's T-day potluck:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...r-spanish.html

It's super easy to make, the ingredients are fairly cheap and it is goddamn delicious.

all reads very yummy indeed!

this year's big experiment is with acorns. i'm going for skillet acorn bread (basically corn bread, but substitute acorn flour) and a misc autumn harvest stew with roasted acorns. I'm going to pickle some too.

I still haven't finished leaching the acorns I gathered on Monday. I got too many red oak, which are extremely bitter. The chestnut oaks are almost mild enough to eat raw. I hear white oak acorns have way less tannin too, so I'm going to go with those for the big thankstaking day meal. This batch is a trial run.