Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Baristas and Roaster sound off!

Internet Nerd Punk Punk stinkbot's Avatar
    Let's play with methods and numbers!
    Hario V60:
    IMG_3067.jpg
    This is a ceramic Hario V60 brewer. The ceramic version is available in red and white. The Hario also comes in clear glass models with plastic handles, the handles are often black, white or red. There are copper Hario V60s and a plastic version. Plastic models can retail for as low as $9.00 and because they don't conduct heat very well, they're really nice if you do a manual "swirl" at the end of your brew. Harios require a paper filter, there are Hario knock offs, but the filters themselves are readilly available on the web for cheap, of not at a local shop which you should support.
    IMG_3068.jpg
    Fold the filter along the seam
    IMG_3069.jpg
    Open the filter and place it in your brewer.
    Now is a time to heat your water. Brewing is a chemical process, for coffee to extract correctly, water need to be between 195 degrees farenheit and 205 degrees farenheit.
    I once assumed that the water in our tea kettle was just fine for brewing because the water got hot enough to agitate and cause the kettle to whistle. I was incorrect, on a whim I temped the water and discovered that that water never got hotter than 190 degrees. I noticed that my coffee was always under-extracted, and this was the reason.
    I saved money and purchased a Hario Buono kettle. My thermometer didn't fit in the holes at the top of the lid, so I drilled a hole so that I could fit a thermometer inside it and I was then able to monitor the water temperature.
    Water temp is very important so make sure that your water is getting hot enough. Infra red thermometers and small chef's thermometers are easily attainable, and the nice thing about chefs thermometers is they're easy to calibrate.
    OKAY moving on...
    Coffee...Use what you like. It's all pretty good. I like lighter roasted coffees, I typically prefer coffee from the African continent. However I love coffee and I don't often care where its from.
    The coffee I'm brewing this morning was sourced in Myanmar last year, the Lilypad and Amayar groups produced the coffee. These are women run and operated collectives, the cherries are Catuai and lot we have is made up of both washed and natural processed coffees. They are super fruity, almost like a dessert wine when brewed, or like a plum abd cherry bomb with cranberry acidity.
    This was roasted at my shop, other ACR locations roast it differently, the result is a deeper roast highlighting the boozier properties muting the acidity that we're really highlighting.
    I'm using 22 grams of coffee and grinding it at 15 on my grinder.
    IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg

Internet Nerd Punk Punk stinkbot's Avatar
    Now grinders. Blade grinders, if thats all you have will take apart a coffee bean. Burr grinders break down the coffee bean in a way that the result is a more uniform grind and burr grinders are adjustable to the grind best suitable to the method you're using. Burr grinders are more like large pepper grinders, and break down the bean to the point where the soluble fibers are exposed for the preferred method, where a blade grinder will just chop the shit out of the bean.
    If it's all you have, it's what you have, but keep your eyes peeled at garage sales, estate sales and swap meets. Every time I go to swap meets, I look out for burr grinders, take them home, clean them and give them to my co-workers and friends that are passionate about coffee.
    I get a killer deal on my Baratza grinder right after the 2016 SCAA Expo in Seattle, they sell refurbished models on their website, because every time there is a large coffee event, and because Baratza ALWAYS sponsors large coffee brewing and barista competitions, grinders are available on their site WAY below retail in the refurbished section, and Baratza will stand behind their products, also they're super easy to fix.

So the coffee is ground, the filter is set, the water is hot. First we the filter:
    IMG_3072.jpg
    Wetting the filter removes any paper residue and helps heat the brewer and vessel.
    Use just enough water to completely wet the filter and heat your vessel.
    Add the ground coffee to your brewer, tap the side of the brewer to flatten the coffee bed so that you have an even surface inside the brewer.
    Now we bloom!! Blooming is the initial introduction of water to coffee, Co2 escapes the coffee as the water penetrates the cellulose fibers in ther coffee releasing the thousands of volatile compounds releasing flavor and aroma...yes the bloom is very important.
    Zero out your scale, and pour three times the amount of water into the bed, slightly agitate the coffee bed so that ALL of the coffee has been exposed to the water.
    This should happen within 10 seconds. The quicker you saturate all the coffee with the heated water, the more evenly the coffee will extract throughout the process.
    This has been a point of debate with baristas and coffee enthusiasts, and until very recently I was totally against agitating coffee during the bloom. I argued that the escaping Co2 would agitate the coffee enough and after trying this method, and testing at work in our lab with one of our trainers I discovered that I was getting a more even extraction be agitating the coffee during the bloom. So I agitate...
    A quick scoop with a plastic (or bamboo) spoon, something that won't conduct heat and have a negative impact on the slurry in the brewing bed should be all that's necessary to expose the coffee to the water.
    The bloom can last from 30 seconds to one minute, I like a 45 second bloom.
    Now we pour, the pour should be slow and even in concentric circles from the middle of the bed, outward and back to center making sure to saturate the coffee and pour until you get to 175 grams, about half of the total weight of the beverage. You want to hit this at about 1:15.
    At 1:30 finish your pour taking the beverage bed to 352 grams, as the draw down moves on at 1:45 give the brewer a swiel by picking up the brewer and slightly swirl in a clockwise fashion for two passes. It will take time for the brew to draw down as seen below, the brew should finish by 3:30

Now, lets talk about scales. My scale is very accurate scale made specifically for coffee it has a timer.
    I have used kitchen scales and a postal scale until I got my Acaia whatever you can find to use that is sensitive enough and accurate so that you are able to replicate the brew time after time.
    I exceeded my photo use at the beginning, so sorry I didn't get to add more.
    Last edited by stinkbot; 02-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.