Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baristas and Roaster sound off!

Moderator Punk to the bone backwoodsvegan's Avatar
    I agree with everything that Stinky said.

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone yan tree's Avatar
    ace info stinbot - makes me sad that I drink instant coffee or use tea bags lol

Internet Nerd Punk Punk stinkbot's Avatar
    I've been roasting a bit the last two weeks. It's fun for short bursts or the dd shift, but I think I'm too ADD to spend time in front of a roaster all day.

Yeah, roasting can be tricky if you don't like standing still.I did 21 batches on the 45k Probat today. When Oak and Crow launches, I'm teaching my business partner Brian how to roast and I'm going to do the green buying and marketing. There might even be an Oak and Crow cafe in 2020 if things go well.

I don't know any more about it than the articles. I'm not invited to the meetings because the baristas don't care about the roasters. It's not a barista and roasters union.

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsvegan View Post
    I don't know any more about it than the articles. I'm not invited to the meetings because the baristas don't care about the roasters. It's not a barista and roasters union.
    I'm sad to hear that, the roasters/production crew and baristas at my cafe are thick as thieves, I want them to organise. WFM is a hard nut to crack.

On another note: my side project Oak and Crow Coffee Co. starts dong test roasts next week. I ordered a some FTO Guatemala Huehuetenango ASOBAGRI to kick things off!

Needs a Life Punk to the bone
    If you do mail order, let me know! I will definitely support independent, punk rock business.

On a side note, I got myself a lititle manual burr grinder and a decent french press and have abandoned my drip machine. It is certainly not as good as the amazing pour over that I get at the local roaster/cafe, but it is a damn site better than any drip coffee O have ever had and the learning curve was very low. I found the comments people made here discouraging and they made it seem like anything beyond an automatic drip machine was some arcane wizardry requiring many years to master; I have not found that to be so. Prior to the invention of the electric coffee pot, some form of piston press was the most common form of coffee brewing technology. It is simple, effective, and lends itself to experimentation.

It's a funny thing with coffee. If you like your coffee and are happy with the results thats really all that matters. Right?
    Having had poorly executed pour overs (and presses) in multiple shops and homes, by people with the best intentions I feel qualified to say that a good coffee maker will make a more consistent and drinkable cup time after time. Practice and equipment will go a long way, but dedication to the preparation each and every time is essential, and frankly most people don't care to do it or learn it properly.