Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRIPTYKON - Shatter EP

Cyberpunk as Fuck Punk to the bone Zeno Marx's Avatar
    Into the Pandemonium is brilliant. Nothing has been since.

Celtic Frost...

Buried and Forgotten or Necromantical Screams? Dethroned Emperor or Power of Satan? They're all great, but what is your preference? I gotta go with Necromantical Screams because...To Mega Therion. Top all-time album. What an ending. I think I have to go with Dethroned Emperor. Supposed to like the crudity of the demos. I get it, but the album versions are properly taken to the next level.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Quote Originally Posted by The anatomist View Post
    I really can't be bothered to get into all the whys and wherefores.
    You either liked the album or you didn't.
    I (mostly) did.
    Now I wish TA would have gotten down to details.

new Celtic Frost and Triptykon...

Any thoughts on the last albums, not including "fuck the haters" or "I love it"? I admit I didn't give them enough credit and judged them too quickly. I re-listened to Monotheist today, and there are some great riffs; not necessarily original riffs, but really good Black Sabbath-like riffs. The use of other instrumentation, vocalists and other styles, and effects makes it clear that Warrior/Ain continue to think out of the box while holding true to what they built with CF. The quasi-power-electronic track "Totengott" is darn impressive; almost something like you'd hear on an MZ.412 album. I like what he's doing with the songs and the ambition to do a 14-minute track. Two things I continue to dislike about this album, which are two prime elements and nothing insignificant to overlook, are: 1) Warrior's vocal cadence, which is plodding, repetitive, and continued throughout the album 2) the guitar tone. The guitar tone isn't completely off, but it is off enough, or modern enough. to pull power away from the energy and power of the good riffing. The tone isn't as warm as I think it should be. I think the tone might make it feel more like nu-metal than it actually is. I just don't like how he has updated the guitar feel. It's brighter and less eerie and dark than it should be, and while the riffs are very heavy, they're made less heavy with the decided tone and effects. I'm sure Warrior doesn't think so. He's going for a suffocating, bent riffing. I don't think he's as successful as he thinks. Maybe it's the combination of the tone/effects and the pinchy harmonics. I can't put a solid on it. I don't want them drastically different; just a little different.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."